I just turned in a book. Lord Lucifer has been turned in ( and is available for pre-order here ) In fact, I turned it in so early, that we’re going to release it earlier than November. I don’t know when that will be, but I’ll let you know as soon as I know!
So now the book is done (at least until revisions). Phew! Guess what I do next…
- Hot bath with a bath bomb. I usually take care of basic hygiene, but I adore sinking into a bath while some amazing scent bubbles or foams or whatever around me. I’m sighing with yearning right now, and I just did it last night!
- Exercise. It’s hard to keep fit with a desk job. I tried a walking desk for a while, but it didn’t work for me. Which means as soon as the manuscript goes in, I do a crash fitness routine that lasts at least a day. Maybe two!
- Celebrate. Every step in the writing process should be celebrated, especially the turning in moment. It’s a special pleasure to hit send on a manuscript, so I mark it with chocolate and shopping.
- Write blogs. Yup. The publicity side of my job is never-ending, but I completely ignore it in the flurry of writing a book. So once it’s done, I’m at my desk writing this instead of working out, eating, and shopping.
- Plan my next book. There’s a lot of thought that goes into a book before I write the first word. That happens in the in-between books time as I bathe, exercise, shop, and write blogs.
Answer: ALL OF THE ABOVE. In truth, I try to maintain balance in my life all the time. (Not always easy.) That includes fun baths, exercise, chocolate and shopping, and keeping up with my fans every week. I’m always doing a little of this and a little of that every day. But if I had to pick my very favorite of all those things—something I do most when I’m between books—it’s take a hot bath with a bath bomb. Look at my pile of bombs! I love these things!
What do you do during the in between times (or whenever you want a break?)