It’s not exactly spring here in Illinois, but it has warmed up enough that the snow has become icy rain. Yuck. There are moments when my Kitty Cinnamon braves the outdoors and comes back with wet fur and muddy paws. She seems to enjoy that way more than I do. So I’ll let you guess what I do when it’s gray and yucky outside.
- Nothing different. I work inside. So rain or shine, I’m sitting in my same chair trying to figure out how the hero can be heroic and how the heroine will finally give him the answer (to whatever question he has).
- I can’t work in darkness and my writing chair is right next to a window. So I sit and stare at the gray day and curse the weather while getting nothing done.
- I write blogs. Duh. And I have a lamp, so that whole, not writing in darkness is just an excuse.
- COFFEEEEEEE!!!!! Something about gray days makes me want to curl up and take a nap. My head feels heavy, my brain is fogged, and the wet kitty on my lap tends to make everything go snoozy. But since I have deadlines…well, it’s a quad venti mocha with a drizzle caramel.
Answer: 4 – Yup, caffeine and sugar are my muse and my antidote to a gray day. Also, I try to reward myself for working with a special something. Another mocha is often my prize, but I like rewarding myself with reading, too. Here’s a couple books that I’ve thought were wonderful.
- Top 10 Things that Dead People Want to Tell You by Mike Dooley. He writes so funny that I could not put the book down. And everything he said felt absolutely right to me. Yeah!
- Trade Me by Courtney Milan – New Adult Romance that was perfect. About two people who trade places and fall in love in the process. It sounds silly, but she pulled it off beautifully.
- The Lady Meets her Match by Gina Conkle. I haven’t finished this one yet, so I can’t tell you about the ending, but the voice is delightful, the plot believable, and there’s just enough historical detail to make me envious of the way she effortlessly weaves in it. Love it!
- Charming by Elliott James. Urban fantasy adventure. I listened to this on audio and thought it was fabulous. The reader was excellent and the adventure fun, fun, fun!
Now it’s your turn! What are you reading lately that you love?